Coach Gary Taylor has 417 wins, the 2nd most among active D1 coaches trailing only Minnesota’s J Robinson. He’s been at the helm of the Broncs since 1978. Taylor leads the Broncs squad that has maintained national recognition as a team that is capable or knocking off a top 10 dual team and consistently produces All Americans. Click here for video!
Rider has a stiff dual schedule this season, with Penn State, Northwestern and Lehigh all during December standing out as marquee matches for the season.
Taylor has done a very good job keeping tiny D1 Rider relevant on a national level. Deep into the interview he dished up some praise for the Penn State staff. EWL rival Edinboro has graduated a ton of points from last year’s best ever 3rd place finish. The question for me is: will Edinboro reload or will Rider be the EWL frontrunner this year? If they can keep their team healthy Rider will be in the hunt for that EWL title and will be a top 15 team at nationals in March.
Here are some of the topics that we covered. I’m looking forward to covering this team during the season.
Thanks for the time Coach.
1. What do you find about wrestling and coaching wrestling that is so fulfilling? How do you stay motivated?
2. Tell us about this year’s team? Goals for the coming season?
3. What kind of head coach are you-what is your role now? Has it changed over time?
4. What kind of support does the university give Rider wrestling? Are your scholarships fully funded?
5. Schedule for the coming season. Last year you guys upset #10 Lehigh, how does that effect your team?
6. What are the pros and cons of having PSU on your schedule for the last couple of years?
7. You’re surrounded by great high school wrestling talent. Has your method of attracting and recruiting wrestlers changed at all? What are you looking for in wrestlers?
8. What are some of you favorite accomplishments over the last few decades?